Monday, 8 December 2008

my journey from September to December.....

I didn't know what I was coming to.
I wanted to go to a church and work with nice Christian kids who knew it all already.
I wanted to do talks and lead worship and let everyone tell me how great I am and how gifted and how servant hearted.
I wanted to carry on doing what I was doing at home, in London.

God had other ideas.

I'm at various youth clubs with young people I have never come across before.
I'm at a church which is just starting and figuring out exactly what the point of them being there is.
I started off thinking I knew it all and quickly realised that I don't.
Everything I do is completely different to what I did on the Wirral.

And it's changing me, growing me and showing me who I am more than I ever thought it would.

God basically tricked me into coming here- and I think if i'd had known what I was coming to I would have been a LOT more nervous. I was so ready to leave home and get out on my own though, and God knew what I really needed, even though it was different to what I thought I needed. He really is rather clever.
And now i'm here. How glad I am that God put me in this place!! He has taught me so much, despite my many many mistakes, and I am growing every day now. At the start, I felt as though I was growing one day, and then the next I was failing. As I go through the day to day, I am learning, VERY slowly, to fix my eyes on Him. And as I do that, I see Him changing me.
A couple of weeks ago, I went whining to Simon about...nothing in particular. His response was "Philippa, go and spend some time with God. Clearly you can't do anything without Him."
And he was right. I would have packed this in by now if I didn't have my eyes fixed on Him (at least occassionally...it's nowhere near as much as I would like). What a simple but vital lesson to learn. "I can do all things through Him who gives me strength." How true that has proven in the past 3 months. I REALLY WANT to focus on Him more!! If He moves this much now, I can only imagine how much He would move if I allowed him into every area of my life.
It has only been the past couple of weeks that I have begun to feel useful and effective in the youth clubs, and in the church i suppose. That's not to say that I felt down about it until now- rather I had accepted that there would be a fairly long "getting used to it/getting to know people" process. Which I guess is quite a change in me- until I came here I would have wanted to be good at what i'm doing straight away, and if i wasn't i would jack it in really quickly. I definitely haven't arrived, but i'm gettin there, and i'm so glad i've got 8 more months to work on it.
At training, I felt that the most important thing this year was going to be for me to remember how valuable everyone is. how valuable the young people I work with are to Him. How beautiful and important they are. and it has been so important, in everything I do. But remembering that in my own strength makes no difference- when I focus my eyes on Him, He constantly reminds me of it, and then I know it as more than a fact, I know it as feelings of compassion, renewed strength and patience. That doesn't sound how I mean it...but I hope you understand. It's hard to explain I guess.
So i'm learning truly what a worshipping lifestyle is. How important patience is and how much of a difference it makes to truly fix my eyes on Him.

It's changed everything.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

These are great reflection and I am sure they will become more embedded and more part of you as you come back and get stuuck in to the new term. Have you found taht having the break away for Christmas has led to any other thoughts/reflections/revelations?
I hope you had a really restful and nourishing time at home. I am sure your home church were delighted to have you back. :)